The history of the Herdade de Vale Barqueiros dates back to the 14th century and its origins are strongly linked to the Order of St. Benedict of Avis, which was established by the Order of the Knights Templar. At the time, Castelo de Seda (Castle of Seda), which is now a village in Alto Alentejo, was under constant threat of attack because it represented both an important milestone and also a symbol of independence of our country.
For this reason, the Order of St. Benedict of Avis ordered troops to be stationed by Castelo da Seda so that, in case of emergency, they could come to the rescue of the fortification as quickly as possible. It was then that the military reserve force of Vale Barqueiros was created. Its name derives from the fact that in order to reach the previously mentioned castle the soldiers needed to cross the Seda River; for that purpose, “barqueiros” (boatmen), transported the troops to both sides of the river in small boats.
Later, during the 19th century, in 1836, all Military and Religious Orders were abolished in Portugal and the Vale Barqueiros military reserve force was nationalised. Then, in 1853, Joaquim Barradas, a nobleman from Seda, purchased the property from the Government, naming it Herdade de Vale Barqueiros. It belonged to his family for more than a century, until in 1986, it was bought by the Honourable Vasco Faria, who turned it into the idyllic place it is today.
With a strong connection to the agriculture, or, to be more precise, viticulture, the current owner and his family have used all their knowledge in the development of the vineyard and the wine and, later on, in an extensive olive grove, cork oak and stone pine woods, among other things, which all add up to over 800-hectares of land.